Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Something Good

So, I was chatting with a friend from math team when he was ``tumbling," which is apparently means using tumblr. So I asked what his username was and followed him. I also gave him the heads up that ``and I guess I should probably tell you that I'm autistic... since if you read much of anything I posted, you'll figure that out anyways..." And he didn't say anything. I asked him a few minutes later about his complete lack of reaction, and his response was that he'd been tempted to say that I do very well with it, but that he saw my post about functioning labels and wanted to read it before he made a fool of himself. Which is actually a great reaction. Seriously: He admitted that he thinks I do well with it (I'm totally cool hearing that, since I interpret it as ``Your coping skills are really good!" which is also a good thing to say as far as I'm concerned,) he saw that I don't like functioning labels, and decided to wait to say anything until he understood why. He decided to read some of what is out there so that he knows at least a little before joining a conversation. It's a good reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.