Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Tired but Happy

Yesterday was the "Autistic People Should" flash blog. I got some great help there, with lots of people boosting the signal, lots of people writing. There were people who did multiple things, so my post numbers and my people numbers are not the same, but there were seventy-two different posts (at last count) that were longer than a sentence, most of which were full-length blog type things. Of those, Karla made three slides on her ASD Page, which reaches a lot of people. There were fourteen different posts made by people who just completed the sentence, some of whom made longer posts at other points in the day. The allistic people who wrote did so in respectful ways, even when the rest of their blogs were problematic. (Yes, there was one proper curebie who wrote an "Autistic People Should" post, and the main issue I have with the post itself is the statement that person-first is better and what we should use. It's only better for describing people who want to be described that way. The rest of her blog is pretty triggery, though. Do not recommend.)
Basically, I'm really happy with how this went.
I'm also exhausted. I spent most of yesterday alternating between resting and tracking down/putting up posts and links. I didn't realize how tiring that could be until I did it, and goodness, am I tired.
And I get to do it all again next Saturday, for Autistic People Are. I'm going to have more help with that one, since Brenda of Mama Be Good said she could help with it and I've added her to the blog. But it's also going to be potentially much bigger. Because we're actually doing a press release. Like, that means that people who aren't already following internet autism and Autistic communities will know that it's a thing. There might be more tracking down to do for more posts, and that's wonderful. It's also exhausting.
When I declared flash blog, I figured I might get ten or twenty posts per thing, not 80+ for the first and who knows how many for the second. I've already got a submission for Autistic People Are, it's going to be better organized, and it has a longer time of people knowing it exists before it actually happens. Oh, and that press release. That's a thing. 

5 comments:

  1. Great work Alyssa! You are the best!! I will try to help more next week. Let me know what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a wonderful job. It must have been very overwhelming with posts coming from every which way. But you did it! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for doing this, it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome! You rule! Autistics rule! Allies rule! All this makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the first flash blog! The posts I've read so far are terrific! Didn't have a chance to write a post myself, but shared the flashblog page to try to do some signal boosting and encourage others to check it out. Looking forward to "Autistic people are".

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.