Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Set List

I think rather echolalically at times. I use lyrics a lot for this.

So I've been throwing around in my head the idea of what set list I  would choose for, say, a concert "for autism." Which is totally code to get more people in in and then hit them with reality in the form of angry Autistic singers. (Mostly Autistic singers- there's a couple songs  I think should be a mix of Autistic and non-autistic singers or just a non-autistic singer, depending on choral arrangements (a cappella is awesome) or more typical band with lead singer sorts of arrangements.)

So, in order:

  1. Numb, by Linkin Park.
  2. Strangers Fate- first verse and chorus (possibly with first verse of One and Only for a medley), by High Tide, now known as The Saturday Nights. As far as I know, there are no publicly available recordings of Strangers Fate anymore, but here's a link for One and Only.
  3. The Jumper, by Third Eye Blind. I think this song should be either mixed or non-autistic singers.
  4. People of the Sun, by PONS (another name High Tide/ The Saturday Nights have gone by.)
  5. King of Anything, by Sara Barellis. Specifically, I want the version used in the Loud Hands Project video. And to have the video part (not audio) going in the background. Synchronization would get interesting.
  6. I'm not sure if I want to finish with Defying Gravity, straight up (Glinda would be a non-autistic singer, Elphaba would be an Autistic singer) or with a blending of Let it Go and Defying Gravity, similar to Let It Defy Gravity but not with the exact same set-up. I'd want to end on Defying Gravity, not Let It Go, and I'd do some of the transitions differently. (Also make Let It Go way louder and and more blatantly defiant than it's being sung.)
I'm not entirely sure about the order of Strangers Fate and Numb, because I'm not sure if "basically losing" (Stranger's Fate) or "knows what the goal is and can't see how to get it" (Numb) is the bigger "low point." But it's those two, then The Jumper, which is fairly straightforwardly someone saying "Just leave it all behind and get out, your life is more important than all that stuff." 

After that, we turn around. People of the Sun still doesn't feel like all that successful a rebellion or of fighting back, but we've got denial that the other people know better and the idea of starting a revolution. The King of Anything video makes a really good transition from the bad space prior to there actually being some revolution type stuff going on. There's momentum! And then Defying Gravity (and Let it Go) are pretty direct defiant middle fingers to expectations of what's right and possible. 

Long story short, BRB figuring out the lyrics and transitions I want for my personal Let It Go/Defying Gravity Medley to close with. 

6 comments:

  1. I would like to sing, King of Anything and/or Middle Finger Medley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've created a set list, I would love for this to actually happen.
      But logistics.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar set list as a playlist on my ipod. I use it for when I'm feeling frustrated because some kind of simple thing could be easier if people would just accept neurodivergence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly, I'm working on a protest song about Autism Speaks with an autistic friend of mine. We're arguing a lot about how it should be formatted, etc. but it should be a thing in a number of months. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really know what Linkin Park's Numb is about; if anything allism is what makes people numb to their senses; but you've got to include it if only for the line "all I want to do is be more like be, and be less like you."

    Another song I'd recommend for the lyrics is "I'm Just Your Problem" by Rebecca Sugar:
    I'm sorry I don't treat you like a goddess
    is that what you want me to do?
    I'm sorry I don't treat you like you're perfect
    like all your little loyal subjects do
    I'm sorry I'm not made of sugar
    am I not sweet enough for you?
    is that why you always avoid me?
    that must be such an inconvenience to you
    so I'm just your problem
    I'm just your problem
    it's like I'm not even a person, am I?
    I'm just your problem
    well I shouldn't have to justify what I do
    and I shouldn't have to prove anything to you
    I'm sorry that I exist
    I forget what landed me on your blacklist
    but I shouldn't have to be the one that makes up with you
    so why do I want to?
    why do I want to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had two big lines that clinched it for me:
      1) All I want to do is be more like me and be less like you
      2) Every step that I take is another mistake to you.

      I'd never heard "I'm just your problem" before but I'm gonna need to listen.

      Delete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.