Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Possible "Autistic People Are..." Ideas!

Yeah, I'm being all organized this time. Have ideas, and I'll be reposting this on Autistic People Are as well.

So, here's some ideas I think anyone can write, Autistic or not (though a non-student writing classmates would be weird, that sort of thing):

  • Autistic people are people.
  • Autistic people are as diverse as non-autistic people.
  • Autistic people are our co-workers.
  • Autistic people are our classmates.
  • Autistic people are not here for inspiration.
  • Autistic people are not mysteries to be solved.
  • Autistic people are not tragedies.
  • Autistic people are awesome.
  • Autistic people are not puzzles.
  • Autistic people are the experts on autism.
  • Autistic people are not all children.
And here's some I'd love to see that should come from an Autistic person who is *insert whatever we are:*

  • Autistic people are teachers.
  • Autistic people are writers.
  • Autistic people are engineers.
  • Autistic people are parents/mothers/fathers.
  • Autistic people are historians.
  • Autistic people are creative.
  • Autistic people are farmers.
  • Autistic people are activists.
  • Autistic people are advocates.
  • Autistic people are firefighters.
  • Autistic people are researchers.
  • Autistic people are teachers.
I think you get the idea? There are certainly more you can write about, these are just to get people started. 
I'll probably either be all meta again and talk about choosing a topic, but if not, I might go with "Autistic people are researchers" since I am a researcher in nanotechnology and all. I'm not sure. Write ALL the things! Oh, and maybe I'll write one in Chinese. I think that would be cool.

Note: This is run by Autistic people, and so all the suggestions are in terms of Autistic people. If you are a person with autism, you can write a "People With Autism Are" and submit it. We respect your self-identification. If you are going to tell us what to call ourselves, however, that is not OK.

1 comment:

  1. The fact that the number of diagnosed cases of autism and aspergers in particular is on such an incredible rise has really grabbed my interest in recent years. While environmental, nutritional, and genetic factors all have obvious merit, there is another consideration that I think deserves at least pondering. That many autistics seem to enjoy and thrive in nature is well known and I'm developing a theory about how significant that is. Is it possible that what is now seen as overstimulation (buzzing sounds, flashing lights, etc.) was once an advantageous trait? Think about someone trying to hunt game or locate specific plants and implements in a wild environment. Sensitivity to animal movement and sound or particular colors would help one thrive. Is it possible that as the world changes to a more social, less natural one that those who were once the most successful are losing ground to those who are less easily distracted by detail (some would say dumb)? It is believed that many shamans and witches of the tribal world were autistic and revered for there understanding of nature. I have no scientific evidence to back any of this up, only my experiences and observations. Just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.