Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Theory of Mind Inside Out Note

I am (very slowly, partially because I've got a ton to do and partially because I have trouble with the way most philosophy-type academics write) piecing my way through Daniel Hutto's Folk Psychological Narratives. It's led to my writing thinky thoughts here before.

Well, I just found a paper that I think connects. It did, of course, study just the DMAB folks and is presumably going to be full of pathology language, but it talks about autistic people using more deliberative reasoning where we go through all the steps instead of stuff being instinctive. That paper is here: Reasoning on the Autism Spectrum: A Dual Process Theory Account.

Since Hutto's argument for why he thinks people don't typically reason out why other people acted as they did/attempt to explicitly figure out the mental states of others is that it'd involve more mental effort, and since autistic people tend to describe spending a lot of energy trying to understand the actions of others, I think we get a lot more practice at deliberative reasoning out of social interaction, which is then more tiring, but also since we have more practice at it we might use it more in other domains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.