Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, August 17, 2012

How my chat with Autism Speaks would probably go

Alyssa: Remember that one time I had oatmeal? That was good.
Autism Speaks: Yeah, but it felt weird in your mouth so you'll never eat it again.
Alyssa: No, that would be eggs. Or yogurt. Oatmeal is fine.
Autism Speaks: It's so sad that you can't eat scrambled eggs.
Alyssa: Not really. Vindaloo is better. Or waffles. I can just not eat plain eggs.
Autism Speaks: Give us money to fix you!
Alyssa: But I'm not broken.
Autism Speaks: So you're not really autistic? Autism is SOOOOO tragic.
Alyssa: Yeah, I'm autistic. I'd just rather live my life than moan about the tragedy I (don't) think I am.

Seriously. On the stuff they are selling at Walmart, they say their mission is to find a cure. Therefore, they want us to be not autistic. And they call autistic people burdens, tragedies, compare us to AIDS, cancer, diabetes, lightning strikes. You know, things that actually kill people. I'm actually toning it down a bit for their end. I know someone who is told to go play in traffic by Autism Speaks supporters for protesting them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.