Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, December 14, 2012

About That Petition

I'm talking about THIS one about organ transplants.
At this point, I'm pretty sure it's not going to make it, which does make me feel pretty horrible. But I had an idea.
People did mention issues with the wording of the petition, and it WAS vague  It also only talked about autism specifically, as opposed to all developmental and intellectual disabilities. 
We can re-write a better petition statement, and we can try again, oh, I don't know, maybe April, since people pay more attention to autism in April anyways?
We can make it include all the other disabilities that get discriminated against, too, at which point the petition is better because it addresses the whole issue and more likely to get signatures because it affects other disability communities. 
We can cite examples in the petition letter itself that say, "Yes, this is A Thing." We can write it better, get it to help a bigger group, have long-form things about it   already ready for day 1, and try again, with Day 1 as April 1st, grabbing the whole of Autism Awareness Month/Autism Acceptance Month, a time when people are paying more attention. Who all is with me?
Oh, and there is a discussion about this going on on Tumblr on off this post.


EDIT: If you want in on the editing, planning for the redo, get me your email and I'll get you invited to the private Tumblr for it. If you do it as a Tumblr ask, I will never share it with anyone ever, and if you do it as a comment here, I'll delete the comment as soon as you have joined the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.