Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Tychonoff's Theorem

I was told to write something brief about Tychonoff's Theorem for topology, and here it is. I like math.

Tychonoff’s Theorem was named after Andrey Nikolayevich Tychonoff, first proved this theorem. It states that the product of compact spaces is again compact under the product topology, and it is one of the most important theorems in topology.  The original proof was for products of the unit interval in 1930, with the general result stated five years later along with the statement that the proof was the same as for the special case. Since 1930, there have been several proofs for this theorem depending on several different concepts, though all require the Axiom of Choice, which Tychonoff’s Theorem has been shown equivalent to. The theorem has been used to show that invariant means (of bounded doubly infinite sequences) exist, even though we have no way to construct such a mean. This is the sort of odd result that is not unexpected from theorems that are based on or equivalent to the Axiom of Choice, which is well known for leading to strange-seeming results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.