Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Stumbled On: The Engineering Handbook of Smart Technology for Aging, Disability, and Independence

It's a PDF version, and I found it here. Since I'm in engineering and in disability, this is the kind of thing I am always interested in when I find it. Though I am definitely worried/expecting that it will be super medical model or maybe scientific model because that's where engineering tends to hang out.

First things first: the whole book citation is:
Helal, Abdelsalam A., Mounir Mokhtari, and Bessam Abdulrazak, eds. The Engineering Handbook of Smart Technology for Aging, Disability, and Independence. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2008. PDF.
The select tool lets me select text, rather than selecting the page as an image, which I think means it's screen-readable.

It is one of those books where the different chapters have different authors, so when actually using it the different chapters get cited differently under most style guides. Yay for how long the works cited is going to be when I use books like this?

Also, the pdf is 971 pages long. Not every page in that is part of any chapter, but that is a lot of pages. There is no way I am sitting down and reading the whole thing. So I'm going to start with the table of contents and the index to figure out what to read on a first pass through, after which I'll make said pass through and take notes on that. Other parts, I may go back and read when they seem relevant to a particular project I'm working on. It's happened.

The chapters I think I want to read in full are:

  • International Policy Context of Technologies for Disabilities: An Analytic Framework. 49-60. Rene Jahiel.
  • ISO 9999 Assistive Products for Persons with Disability: Classification and Terminology. 117-126. Ir. Theo Bougie.
  • Part II: Users, Needs, and Assistive Technology. Chapters 7-12, p 127-236.
  • The Communication Assistant (Alternative Communication). 297-316. Leanne L.West.
  • Context Awareness. 585-606. Jadwiga Indulska and Karen Henricksen.
  • Universal Design/Design for All: Practice and Method. 803-818. Edward Steinfeld.
  • Usability in Designing Assistive Technologies. 855-866. Jean-Claude Sperandio and Marion Wolff.
That's a total of 12 chapters, which is still a lot, but considering that there are a total of 49 chapters it's a significant reduction.

Going through the index, I also want to spot-read pages:
2, 5-7, 11-24, 29, 31-35, 39-41, 46-47, 65-68, 72-74, 101-116, 121, 130, 257-259, 273, 282-286, 291-292, 322-334, 389-392, 397-399, 441, 572-574, 616, 793, 712, 770-772, 788-793, 823-824, 826-829, 846-848, 907-920.

Yeah, I've got a lot of reading to do now. But I'm hyperlexic and interested in the topic, so yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.