Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Another Poem

Trigger Warning: Murder, Euthanasia, Ableism, failure to understand that euthanasia is a subset of murder

 Have another poem-ish thing. This one came after the murder of George Hodgins and my participation in a panel about euthanasia. (Read participation as crashing it with a bunch of ASAN folks and trying to help people see that killing someone who has not told you they wish to die, even if you believe it to be a merciful act and call it euthanasia, is still murder.)

You.
You want to cure what is not broken.
You want to end what you can not cure.
You say I have no ``quality of life."
You compare killing me to putting down a dog.
You choose when I can not speak.
You think cognition and communication are the same.
You think the wheelchair bound should be killed.
You even have the guts to think that it would be mercy.
You forgot something important.
You forgot us.

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa, this poem is strong and beautiful, speaking for those who could not and now will never speak. You are sensitive and empathetic, kind and thoughtful. I love you and admire you for speaking out. This poem is the words for others in need and you have the spirit and soul to reach out for those who cannot advocate for themselves. I tried to copy and paste this and could not figure out how to. I would love to see this poem serve to reach out to help those in need. All my love always, with respect and admiration, Alyssa, Mom

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.