Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I'm In India! And I'm Jet-lagged.

Trigger Warning: Violence, discussions of abuse/murder of autistic people

It's 3:15 am. I woke up about 15 minutes ago. I have a couple posts I wrote on the plane, which I'm going to schedule so that this thing gets some updates while I'm in India. (I'll be writing while I'm here too, but I'll probably be scheduling everything because I'll be on at weird hours.

And that was all I was really planning to day. Until I saw this:  And then I got even more pissed. I wish I could say that I doubt Autism Speaks would make that, but honestly? I wouldn't be shocked if this was them. It's definitely their puzzle piece, at the least. And it's using similar tactics to the ad I wrote about in the JFK International Airport (which will be posted later today, my time.) And no, I'm not scared of autism being 1 in 88. I'm really not. But I am TERRIFIED of how people who see this message as their introduction to autistic spectrum disorders will react if they ever hear that I'm on the spectrum. And I'm TERRIFIED that people who get their idea of autism from images like this will think our lives are not worth living, then kill us and call it mercy. Because... that happens. And images like this spread the message that we are tragedies, which would make it more OK. We're not tragedies, and portraying us as tragedies hurts us rather directly. So you should stop doing that now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.