Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hi all

So, a first post! Here is my introduction:
I am in my second year in school, studying mechanical engineering, mathematics, and Chinese. I am also autistic. I am mostly verbal, but I am not during one of the ways I can melt down. (There are a few. Some loud, some silent, none violent except in self-defense. No one is going to get hurt unless someone decides that stopping me from flapping/rocking/shaking/pacing/insert other non-dangerous stim is a good idea during a meltdown. Then I will flail.) I do not assume that my opinions will hold for all autistics. No one autistic can speak for all of us, and I will only claim to speak for myself. That said, I have strong opinions on what should and should not be done. (Stopping someone from a non-dangerous, safe for work stim is on my ``good to know how if and only if the person has expressed interest in passing for not autistic at times" list, for example." These opinions are very situation based. I will probably piss you off at some point. Go ahead and comment, but nicely. If your comment contains an ad hominem attack (you are ____ as opposed to your idea is wrong because_____) I WILL DO SOMETHING. The something might be deleting the sentence with the attack if there is a way to do that. It might be deleting the entire comment. It might be replacing the attack with ``ad hominem attack removed" and leaving the rest of the post alone. But it will not stand. If you use the word ``retarded", your comment is gone. Argument from tone is bad. Ad hominem attacks are bad. Logical fallacies are allowed, but will probably be pointed out. Scientific inaccuracy will be pointed out, possibly with papers cited. (I have two STEM majors. I do rigor.) Sarcasm should probably have <begin sarcasm> and <end sarcasm> type tags. I for one have trouble picking up on it, even in person.
That's not to say that autism stuff is all that will be there. Like all self-advocates (ASAN is awesome, by the way,) I am a human being. A really, really busy one, in my case. Three majors (taking seven classes this semester), assisting other online classes, grading papers, playing two sports, and doing nanotech research apparently has that effect. So that is my story. You'll be hearing more. You'll probably also see some of the stuff I've written before. And you might even see the geometric design stuff I do. Because three majors is totally not enough to be doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.